Wednesday, October 6, 2010

QUWS!

This week I decided to focus on unobtrusive research methods and how it relates to the QU Women's Soccer program.  Unobtrusive research is done mainly by observation and the subjects don't necessarily know they are being measured.

On Facebook, we have a QU Women's Soccer page, so I decided to use this as means to conduct my own study.  As a team, we created a page to remind friends and fans what time and when our games are and before every game, we invite them via Facebook.  So I tracked how many people said they were attending our Friday games compared to Sunday games to see which day would get more fans.  I was surprised to find that more people would attend Friday games because there are classes throughout the day.

I also came across a book online that goes more into detail about observation.  It gave me an idea, so I applied it to the films of our game.  After each game, we look at film ranging from goals scored and goals against to mistakes and positive aspects of the game.  I noted how going over negative film footage of players actually affects them (as in how they react to the negativity and so on).  Every time my coach would point something negative out, I noticed the same girls getting upset and in some cases challenging his opinion.  At the end of each film footage, the attitude of these girls was always negative.  So before each film from now on, I've noticed that the attitude of these girls start out negative because they automatically assume the game footage will point out their mistakes.

From my research, I've noticed little things that even our coaches have looked over.  From this simple research, I can talk to my coach about trying to stay more positive to see how it will change the player's attitude.  It could also help us get more fans to our games.

No comments:

Post a Comment